Thursday, December 15, 2005

Cyberpunk 2.0

A thought. I my last post I posited the idea of cyberpunk 2.0 and linked it to web 2.0. Its something that I'd like to explore and will do when I've a little more time. I only link the two because of the Rich User experience in Web 2.0. I'm not a believer in this whole cyberpunk - to postcyberpunk to postpostcyberpunk (The Overclockers?) but something is happening in more than one writer in different places. A conversation appears to be starting in the review pages and between the published books.

It is not to say that I'm trying to arbitrarily call some thing already named the Overclockers by Bruce Sterling something else. In my mind, at least at the moment, there is a link from writers such as Charles Stross and Cory Doctorow back to what Gibson and Sterling were doing back in the day (and still do well now - just in a different fashion) and it probably goes back to Bester and so on. (Chasing the hall of mirrors of author influences is not something I intend to do right now but if it happens...).

What we seem to be seeing is ideas being used to gauge or posit how technology affects society and the inverse, how people can affect technology. Stross and Docotorow (the two most noticeable writers at the moment) are writing neat things in neat ways with panache. Does David Marusek do this? I don't know as I haven't finished Counting Heads yet but hope to soon. Perhaps there is a certain amount of reinventing the wheel going but with newer toys. It happens, certainly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 2.0 England & Wales License.